In the Gospel of this Sunday, the Sunday of the Veneration of the Holy Cross, Jesus Christ quite clearly describes to us how we can be able to meet Him. He says: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.” Thus our Lord sets us three conditions:
- The first is our willingness to follow His path.
- The second is to put aside our arrogant ego.
- The third is to take up our Cross.
What is our Cross? To manifest in our lives Christ who knows resting the tired and to open roads so as our tired society to encounter Christ.
Subsequently our Lord says: “whoever wants to save their life will lose it“. What does our Lords imply? He distinguishes two kinds of life:
- A life that has to do with the constant human desire to acquire, to dominate, and to put himself foremost. This life should be diminished, reduced, so as to leave room for another life.
- A life that unfolds, hugs the other people and the creation and finally it is offered as a gift for others. It is this second the true life, which if lost as a vision and goal, cannot be replaced with nothing.
Finally our Lord says: “If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.” Yet, why would someone be ashamed to do the right thing? It is not difficult to bring to mind moments from our daily lives and see: how many times, although the consciousness is inclined towards the right thing, a thousand factors distract us from the right?
Nonetheless, my dear brothers and sisters, it is important to remember that every relationship has a cost. The same applies to our relationship with Jesus Christ. Cost and desire at the same time is faith, day by day, to occupy a more and more central position in our lives; our lives to be increasingly regulated by the knowledge of God’s will. What is this will? To sacrifice ourselves not only out of forgiving love, yet also out of loving responsibility for our fellow people.
And whenever, my beloved brethren, our forces are being weakened, a Cross, no longer of wood, but formed by the movement of three joined fingers all over our body, is sufficient to establish that the tool of the most ignominious death can become the guardian of all the universe. Amen!